Saturday, April 11, 2009


Adam’s family’s well being is very good considering they have 4 children and 2 with the diagnosis of ASD. Church is a large part of their life. They describe their marriage as strong and supportive. They do have limitations in what they can participate in socially do to Adam’s poor modulation. Since reading this section, I began to talk to Adam’s mom about the social issues and how important they are for Adam and the family. She was a little fearful of change due to their busy schedule and factors involved in managing 4 children. My strategy at this time is to identify this issue as important with his mom. I requested she provide me with an activity we could address that the entire family would like to participate in, but is challenged to at this time. I could tell she was surprised that I addressed this issue, but acknowledged the importance of social interaction relating to the entire family. The next session she came up with a concern about their family home schooling conference in Indianapolis. She wanted all of her children to attend the children’s session so she and her husband could attend the adult sessions alone. After learning this, Noah and I sat down and wrote a social story of 6-7 pages. I asked Mom to read this everyday before leaving for the conference to prepare him. Adam’s Mom contacted me via email to inform me that the conference was a success! Adam attended the children’s sessions without difficulty and the parents attended their training alone. She stated she could not explain how thrilling it was to attend something for an entire weekend that the whole family enjoyed! Per the Quirmback article social stories were effective in improved game playing abilities with children with ASD. This is another option that may prepare and teach Adam about the upcoming family event.

No comments:

Post a Comment